In 2010, the Indiana General Assembly passed House Enrolled Act 1083 reducing the time period by which certain property is considered abandoned by a holder and can be reclaimed through the Indiana Unclaimed Property Program.
Indiana holds more than $350 million in unclaimed property waiting to be returned to Hoosiers. Unclaimed property might be items from a safe deposit box, but in large part, it’s money! It could be an old bank account or some forgotten stock – even a utility deposit you never got back. It could also be insurance proceeds or an inheritance you never knew about. View map of unclaimed property by region >
Finding Unclaimed Property is a free and easy process that can be done via a user-friendly state sponsored website – www.IndianaUnclaimed.com. Just type in your name and within seconds you can find out if this is your lucky day.
There are six simple steps involved in being reunited with unclaimed property:
- Enter your name or the name of a friend or family member in the search field.
- Place a check mark in the box next to the property you want to claim.
- Complete the claim form and verify your information by clicking “approve.”
- Print a copy of your completed claim form, sign it and gather all of the required documentation.
- Drop your completed claim form along with the required documentation in the mail.
- Allow our staff up to 90 days to review your claim. If your claim is approved, you’ll receive your check in the mail. It’s that easy!
You can also call 1.866.IN.CLAIM (1.866.462.5246).