On Wednesday, March 9, remarkable women from across the state gathered in Indianapolis for the seventh annual Indiana Commission for Women Torchbearer Awards. The event, founded in 2004, celebrates and honors the contributions Hoosier women have made to make Indiana an encouraging place for women to overcome obstacles, succeed in the workplace and raise a healthy family.
Torchbearer Award recipients are drawn from a select few Indiana women who have established a reputation for leadership in the state. They are courageous and inspiring individuals who continue to light the way for female Hoosiers to fully participate and engage in all aspects of society. As the only event in which The State of Indiana honors the contributions of its exceptional females, the Torchbearer ceremony is marked by the presence of Indiana’s inspiring women, past award recipients, legislators and elected officials.
The 2011 Torchbearer Recipients are:
- Ellen Annala, Indianapolis
- Elaine Bedel, Indianapolis
- Tanya Bell, Brownsburg
- Susan W. Brooks, Indianapolis
- Dr. Maria Del Rio Hoover, Evansville
- Cheryl Hillenburg, English
- Cynthia “Cindy” Hubert, Indianapolis
- Harriet Sweedler Miller, Fort Wayne
- Janice Montgomery, Columbus
- Dessie Partenheimer Koch, Indianapolis
- Katie Stam, Seymour/Carmel
- Maria Larrison, Avon
Senate Democrat Leader Vi Simpson addressed Wednesday’s crowd of accomplished women.
“It is our hope that we can keep moving women forward by encouraging them to retrain and become more educated, to become better connected to their communities, to become aware of the opportunities and resources available to them, to start a business or to step forward as leaders in their industries and in their communities so that they can achieve economic stability and prosperity,” she said.
The Indiana Commission for Women is committed to removing barriers that hinder women’s full participation in all aspects of society by:
- Increasing awareness of the status of women, their families and the issues they face
- Recognizing and promoting the contributions that Hoosier women make to their community, state and nation
- Providing balanced analysis of public policy issues that impact women in Indiana
For more information about the Indiana Commission for Women Torchbearer Awards, click here>>