Summer has almost begun, and many Hoosiers are unaware of all the interesting places to visit in our great state of Indiana. From the sandy shores of the Indiana Dunes on Lake Michigan, to the banks of the Ohio River in Madison – Indiana has a multitude of exciting vacation destinations that are only a few hours away!
Here are some of our favorite places to visit in Indiana:
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore – Sand and sun in Indiana? Who needs to travel to one of the coasts when there is a beach right here in Indiana? Located in Northern Indiana, the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore sits at the southern end of Lake Michigan. Take a day trip or stay an entire summer – there are plenty of public beaches, hotel accommodations and attractions for the whole family.
- Turkey Run/Shades State Park – Just minutes away from one another, Turkey Run and Shades are two of our favorite state parks. There are plenty of trails for hiking, canoeing, fishing and other nature activities to satisfy any outdoors enthusiast.
- Indiana Cave Trail – If you are feeling adventurous, there are several caverns to explore in Southern Indiana. Witness beautiful geological formations and beat the heat – because it’s always cooler underground! Four of our favorite cave sites include: Marengo Cave, Bluespring Caverns, Indiana Caverns and Squire Boone Caverns.
- French Lick/West Baden Springs – Plan a romantic getaway this summer at the most amazing resort destination in Indiana. French Lick Springs Hotel and West Baden Springs Hotel offer luxurious accommodations in the heart of Southern Indiana. There are a variety of restaurants, golf courses, horseback riding, boutique shops, swimming pools, spas and a casino on site.
- Summer Festivals – Every year there are hundreds of festivals in Indiana – this summer is no exception. From the Michigan City Summer Festival to the River Roots Music and Folk Arts Festival in Madison, this summer will be packed with festival fun! Make summer festivals a part or your Hoosier Vacation Destination plans. Visit www.indianafestivals.org for more information.
- Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari – No summer would be complete without a trip to Holiday World located in Santa Clause, Indiana. Boasting the #1 Roller Coaster in America, an amazing water park and free soft drinks – who wouldn’t want to spend a day at Holiday World?
Want more great Indiana vacation ideas? Go to Visit Indiana and plan your next Indiana vacation. You can also visit one of the following links for additional trip ideas…
- Download the 2014 Indiana Recreation Guide and the 2014 Indiana Fishing Guide from the Indiana Department of Natural Resources.
- Visit camp.in.gov to learn about camping sites in Indiana and make online reservations.
- Visit stateparks.in.gov to learn about visiting Indiana’s state parks and reservoirs.
- Search for a local farmer’s market on the Indiana Farmer’s Market Online Directory.
- Contact your local visitor’s bureau or tourist board.