Serving as a Page for the Indiana General Assembly is an excellent educational opportunity for students to gain a first-hand glimpse of how the legislative process works. As a page, students will have the opportunity to tour Indiana’s historic Statehouse, witness the legislative session directly from the floor of the Senate, meet and take a photograph with a senator, and more.
WHO: Students in grade 6 (age 12) through high school seniors may apply to serve as Senate pages while the General Assembly is in session.
WHAT: Students will serve in the State Senate for one day assisting legislative aides and interns with legislative tasks and attending session in the Senate chamber.
WHEN: In 2017, the General Assembly will meet January 3rd through April 29th. Pages serve only on session days, which are generally Monday, Tuesday and Thursday of each week. There are a limited number of page positions available, and interested students are encouraged to contact their State Senator early. Online applications may be submitted through the link below beginning on December 1st.
And guess what! Indiana law allows Hoosier students to serve as a Senate Page one day per legislative session and receive an excused absence from school.
Submit an online application today to schedule your Page experience.
IMPORTANT INFO FOR PARENTS:
- All Requests must include the parent/legal guardian’s contact information, emergency contact information, the student’s name, age and grade level, and school
- All siblings and friends who wish to serve as Senate Pages on the same day should indicate this request on the applications.
- Parents and legal guardians are responsible for completing all required permission and participation forms as well as providing transportation to and from the Statehouse.
- The Senate Page Office will contact the parent/legal guardian to confirm the scheduled paging date. More detailed information and the required forms will be delivered by mail.
- Senate Pages are scheduled for Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays throughout the legislative session. Large groups may schedule page visits on Wednesdays.
Pages are expected to arrive to the Senate Page Office by 8:30 a.m. for registration and orientation. Pages are dismissed to parents and legal guardians at 3:30 p.m.
Pages participate in a supervised lunch in the Government Center South cafeteria, unless a parent or legal guardian over 18 years of age signs a release form and escorts the student to lunch. Pages should plan to bring a sack lunch or money to purchase a meal from the cafeteria.