Uncategorized New resources available for storm victims

New resources available for storm victims


In response to the tremendous damage caused by severe weather in southern Indiana last week, the state of Indiana launched a number of resources to help Hoosiers handle insurance policy issues and reestablish their homes and businesses.

Storm Resource Center

The state opened a resource center for those affected by last week’s tornadoes. The center is located at the Ivy Tech campus in Sellersburg, Indiana.  and is open from 8am to 8pm seven days a week and will be open for at least the next 10 days. The resource center will host representatives from:

  • The American Red CrossProviding basic household items.
  • The Bureau of Motor VehiclesIssuing replacement driver’s licenses and identification at no charge.
  • Department of Insurance – Answering insurance policy questions.
  • Department of Workforce DevelopmentProviding applications for unemployment benefits.
  • Indiana Family and Social Services AdministrationProviding replacement Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program for those receiving already assistance.

Additional agencies will be on site.

More information on state agencies located at the resource center >>

Indiana Department of Insurance policy information

On Tuesday, The Indiana Department of Insurance issued a 60-day moratorium on cancellations of insurance policies held by Hoosiers in the areas affected by last week’s severe weather. Penalties for late payment by policyholders in the impacted areas have also been suspended.

After 60 days, policyholders are expected to resume making premium payments.

More Information on the policy cancellation moratorium available here>>

The Indiana Department of Insurance has also provided a number of additional consumer alerts and insurance tips for those affected by severe weather:

  • If possible, separate the damaged property from the undamaged property to protect your property from further loss.
  • Don’t make permanent repairs until your insurance company has inspected the damage.
  • Make a list of damaged or lost items and include their age where possible.
  • Within 60 days of loss, you will need to file a proof of loss, which is your signed and sworn statement of the amount you are claiming under your policy. The adjuster assigned to your loss or your agent can assist you with this.
  • Once your claim is processed, get estimates from contractors or auto repair shops known to you or recommended by someone you trust. Be suspicious of strangers who offer to do repairs for you.
  • Don’t let contractors inspect your property if you’re not watching.
  • Don’t pay the whole repair bill in advance. Pay in full only when the work is completed according to your agreement.
  • Be suspicious of anyone who offers to get you more money for your insurance claim. A public adjuster—required to be licensed by the Indiana Department of Insurance (IDOI)—may solicit you. Public adjusters will require part of your claim settlement as payment for their services. In general, consider hiring a public adjuster only if you reach an impasse with your insurance company.