Throughout the summer and fall when the Indiana General Assembly is not in session, numerous interim committees and commissions are convened to conduct in-depth research and analysis on many complex issues facing the state. The recommendations formed over the next few months by the work of these committees, which includes public testimony, are included in proposals likely to be considered during the next legislative session. Most study committees must complete their work by November 1st.
- The effectiveness of the Department of Child Services, the child abuse hotline and best practices concerning child mental health care and child welfare – new Department of Child Services Interim Study Committee
- The implementation of permanent outdoor stage equipment safety regulations – new Outdoor Stage Equipment Safety Committee
- The study of the scope, purpose and effectiveness of enacted income tax credits – Commission on State Tax and Fiscal Policy
- The process of issuing specialty group license plates – new Study Committee on Special Group Recognition License Plates
- Teacher evaluation implementation and the application of A-F school grades – new Select Commission on Education
- Electing to disannex from one school corporation to join an existing or create a new school corporation – new Interim Study Committee on Education Issues
- Absentee ballot security and voter registration integration with the Department of Revenue –Census Data Advisory Committee
- The role of local municipalities, counties, towns and state government in providing 911 services statewide – Indiana Advisory Commission on Intergovernmental Relations
- The licensing of paramedics and the regulation of pain management facilities and prescribers of controlled substances – Health Finance Commission
- Limiting the dispensing of prescription drugs by pharmacists – Health Finance Commission
- Creating a centralized department of administrative judges within the office of the Attorney General – Commission on Courts
- Scheduled reporting of the financial and operating condition of state retirement plans –Pension Management Oversight Commission
- Solid waste management district’s ability to issue permits and impose and collect fees – Environmental Quality Service Council
- Financing solid waste management districts – Commission on State Tax and Fiscal Policy
Committee meeting dates, agendas, and minutes will all be available online at www.in.gov/legislative/interim/committee.