On Monday, the Indiana Department of Workforce Development (DWD) announced Indiana’s March 2017 unemployment rate decreased slightly from February. The new rate is 3.9 percent and represents a decrease of 0.2 percent from the previous month. Indiana’s unemployment rate is 0.6 percent lower than the national rate, and 0.8 percent lower than this time last year.
Surrounding states – Illinois and Michigan observed decreases in their unemployment rates, while Kentucky and Ohio held steady month-over-month. Illinois saw a decrease of 0.5 percent in March, bringing their unemployment rate to 4.9 percent, the lowest of Indiana’s neighboring states. Michigan observed 0.2 percent decrease from March, bringing their overall unemployment rate to 5.1 percent overall. Kentucky’s rate remained at 5 percent, and Ohio remained at 5.1 percent.
IN County with the highest unemployment rate: Vermillion at 5.9%
IN Counties with the lowest rates: Dubois, Elkhart, and LaGrange at 2.8% each
Employment Report (LAUS)
- Labor Force Estimates for U.S., Indiana, MSAs, Counties, Cities
- Ranking of Indiana Counties by Unemployment Rate
- Indiana County Map with Unemployment Rates
Jobs Report (CES)